You Are Reading

Brief 12: Yearbook - Spread Development

After our meeting with Duncan, we had to create more spreads as he had provided more content to include.  As he had sent me a list with what he wanted, we had to drop some spreads to create new ones as there was more than we expected. Me and Jordan went through this list to determine what we didn't need, as we had to drop five spreads.
We decided to drop
  • Have a brew photo
  • Wake up, have a coffee quote
  • Amount of work tally
  • Music infographic
  • Everyone in the studio bounces off each other quote
  • (Move Print all Day Party all Night to end pages)


The new/yet to be completed spreads:
  • Achievements over the years
  • Our studio space
  • Salut! Introduction
  • Beyond our walls - internships etc
  • Accolades


I started developing spread ideas for the achievements, introduction, studio space and beyond our walls pages.



I added have fun with the tribe to tie in the jungle/tribe theme we have in the book


I tried making the introduction page, and went with the display font to see how it looked as a big feature page. This is because we found that the main thing we didn't like about last yrs book was that there was a few pages with small bodycopy on them and we flicked straight past without reading them as they seemed boring. This is more in your face, stands out and represents a more fun and edgy message that people would want to read.


I then tried doing the achievements page - we don't have all of the content yet but thought it couldn't hurt to have something to show Duncan in the next meeting.


I thought it might be good if some of the infographics had a plain background - although I think it looks horrible on screen, we have chosen some really nice GF Smith stock, so it would look very different printed. 



I tried separating salut from the rest of the copy


Then I tried having all of it in big copy, but this is just not readable enough


I tried different sizes to see what would work more legibly


As we had now chosen our bodyocpy font (Open Sans), I tried using that as well. I feel the light version doesn't go with the dutone imagery, theme or heading.


But in its bolder weights, it works much better! More readable and balanced


I then tried the white background again. Jordan had found some examples of books which worked well with similar text on white backgrounds, and we felt it could be appropriate here too. I wanted to do some test prints of these to see how it looked printed, as it looks so different on screen.


I tried having a heading on one page and copy on the other


I tried different sizes, widths and weights



I feel when it is Extra Bold it works a lot better, as well as having bigger copy. I think it makes it less likely for people to skip past it too


I tried a few more variations as I wanted to test print a variety so I could really see whats and what doesn't


I then started on Beyond Our Walls, which is basically a section to say the kind of things they do outside the studio. I started by making it in the list format of the 'day in the life' and 'accolades'


I soon realised this wasn't working, as there was still some bodcopy that needed to be included that didn't really fit anywhere. Right now I don't think it looks consistent having the bodycopy underneath the title


So, I made a paragraph instead of a list which I think works a lot better!


Since we now have the copy for the accolades, I decided to give it a go since I was already working on some of the spreads.
I found this the most difficult actually as there was so much copy! Was hard to make it readable at such a big size, but I didn't want to use smaller copy as 1. it wouldn't be consistent 2. people would skim past it and 3. it wouldn't look balanced as it is only a list - not lots of paragraphs


I made the type smaller, but seems more squished


Tried it in the bodycopy font but doesn't work well with the rest of the text


Tried it on a white background which although doesn't look good on screen, would have a very different effect on print


I decided to go back to other spreads as I was struggling and might be able to find a way to make it similar to other spreads.






I then tried them in the display copy, which I think not only works but looks a lot better too. It would also be more consistent with the quotes



I then went back to the accolades to give it another go!


I tried making the type smaller


By shortening the line length to match the sub heading, I think it becomes a lot more readable as it was very long before being smaller bodycopy. Although not perfect, this is the best solution I can come up with for now




Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.