You Are Reading

Brief 12: Yearbook - Preparing for Print

The past couple of days have been really long working to get this document ready for a test print. It has been a real team effort while we each worked on different things and communicated, shared files and asked opinions so we could get it done as efficiently as possible.

Contact Details
After Joe had input all of the contact details, I started to put the work in. However, I soon realised that the text was too close to the images and we had to figure out how to make it work. Me and Leo decided to experiment with different point sizes and layouts, printing them to see what worked best.






After much deliberation

  • 6pt was too big - not enough space
  • 5pt was definitely too small
  • Text on one line created more space
  • Looked better like this when there was a divider to separate the info
  • However, didn't look right when aligned right on the left page
  • 5.5pt was just right
  • Moved text down so aligned with 15mm margin
  • Text decoration was too big originally
  • Worked well without it
  • However, majority still wanted to use it - looked a lot better smaller too

Student Work
After we had all decided on the contact details featured on the student work, Joe made the amendments. Then, I was able to input all of the student work.

I had prepared all of the images ready to drop into InDesign by resizing them all on Photoshop based on the layouts everybody had chosen. I had saved them all on Google Drive to save memory and share them easily with my group. However, since the files were so big, it took me a long time to download them to my laptop. 

Anyway, I found it quite easy and was able to input them quite quickly as I had written a list of all the girls and their layouts, and had created folders for everyone. I am also quite familiar with everybody's work now as I have seen it so much, so I was able to remember where a lot of the images were saved.

Layout 6 Problem
One thing we didn't plan when we were doing the layouts, is how Layout 6 would look together. When I was putting together the document I realised that they actually look quite unbalanced together since there was an empty space on the left hand side on both pages.


Looks unbalanced using the right layout



Looks better with symmetry, but isn't as consistent


Also tried it on the inside so that it fits more inline with the text


In the end, we all decided that while they look good with symmetry, the small square doesn't quite work on the left hand side on other pages.
Therefore, I decided to change the layouts of four people where they had the clashing layouts to solve this problem.




Missing Work
Even though I had written a list, resized everyone's names and double checked my emails, one of the girls had slipped through! She hadn't contacted me at all throughout the entire project, and therefore I had a moment of panic. However, I emailed her, Duncan and messaged her on Facebook stating how urgent it was that we received her images, and fortunately she sent me some. 

I had sent an email over a week ago



And another one last night



Spreads
This is what a couple of the other spreads look like

It was very rewarding once I had inserted them all, as it finally feels like it is coming together, and their work is of such a high quality that it makes it worth it!


Inserting the Spreads
As I did all of that last night, when I came into uni this morning I was ready to insert all of the spreads that Jordan had worked on, as well as insert the photos that Leo had taken. 

We wanted some pictures of the print room to match the quotes about printing and show the facilities we have, and Leo had taken some really good ones to include. We selected the few we thought would work well, and he added the duotone effect ready for me to include.

Here is an example of some of the spreads I inserted using Leo's imagery and Jordan's revised symbol additions. I think the symbols really help to emphasise the tribal concept we wanted to portray, as well as mimic sketchbook doodles, while the image in the print room helps to reflect the content of the Day in the Life spread.





Cover Photo
We had decided to use Daisy Wright's image for the cover because it had tribal influences in the design, was very eye-catching and of a high quality reflecting the nature of the course.

However, when we printed it we found that the colours weren't as we were expecting, and bolder than we thought. Therefore, Joe and Jordan had a go at editing it.


This was the outcome we decided upon, which is more muted/lighter and brings out the details in the darker leaves more.



Meeting with Duncan
Once I had inserted all of the spreads, me, Jordan and Joe went to speak to Duncan to confirm everything was okay, while Leo worked on the front cover. He okay'ed all of the spreads which was good news, and we just had a couple of things to discuss.

Points we and Duncan raised
  • Natalie Rogers still hasn't given us contact details
  • Jessica Kobelt - change image?
  • Vicky Somerville - has better image than 1st choice - should we change it?
  • Ellie Dunn - need new imagery
  • Kira Tranter - email address needs updating
  • Welcome to our work - copy needs creating
Just a few cases of chasing people up, which doesn't actually need to be changed for the test print, but good to get sorted today.

Meeting with Marketing
We then went to show it to marketing, as Andrew had to go over it all. He gave me these amendments:


He said that there should be an end to the inverted commas, but these are not meant to be there for grammatical reasons - more for an aesthetic touch to show that they are quotes but to work with the contemporary design that we have.


Grammar






Bodycopy


Bodycopy



Saving for Print
Me and Leo saved the document for print ready to send to Evolution, and wrote an email to them. We packaged the InDesign document so that they would have all of the links, and created a PDF in press quality for them. What we realised though, was that there were 12 RGB files - we went through and changed the image mode on Photoshop for all of them so that they were CMYK. Then we saved it.



I then started to upload them to Drive so that we could share the folder with Evolution, but this literally took hours.


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.